fhsst-maths

Re: FHSST-Maths: June Deadline

From: Sam Halliday
Subject: Re: FHSST-Maths: June Deadline
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 01:45:08 +0100

On 1 Jun 2005, at 08:51, greg wrote:
A few quick things:
1. We have done a lot of the pure content part - and I am attaching the latest version of the file for you to take a look at to get a sense of that.

excellent! the file looks big, but unfortunately i cannot read .doc files as i have a Mac (soooo much better!), but i'll assume its wonderful! :-D

2. We need more worked examples, and this will be the focus of our time in the short run.

cool... remember the philosophy of the book is to explain stuff with casual examples (in the context of aids etc like the syllabus says) where possible, then at the end of the chapter have "worked examples". they are exam style questions with full working to get a perfect mark, then after that a bunch of exercises with answers.

3. There are missing sections, but for now the headings will be cut out and we'll publish what we have done. 4. Then we will get it put into Latex format. I am playing with software to get this done.

cool! i hear there are doc2TeX convertors out there, but i imagine they create pretty ugly LaTeX. is here anyone on the list willing to simply "clean" up this kind of LaTeX contribution?

i really regret not making the maths book a Wiki from the start! it would cut this need for people proficient in LaTeX. but i guess then we'd have trouble with making figures consistent...

I appreciate it's not quite complete by the 1 June deadline, apologies.

no probs... as long as you guys are still active, you will keep getting the assignment... just don't take 10 years ;-)

However, this is well on the way and we look forward to presenting you soon with something that can be added to your master document.

its looking good finance team... keep up the good work! you are shaming the rest of us!

cheers,
Sam
--
Free High School Science Texts