Re: [ft-devel] On the impact of installing the next FreeType release on

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] On the impact of installing the next FreeType release on a typical Unix distribution
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 08:08:33 +0100 (CET)

> >Sounds good.  We should mention in the docs that these steps are
> >performed only *once*, and that we are not going to maintain those
> >hacks.
>
> I think that we'll need to maintain them for quite some time,
> between 6 and 18 months, to ensure that everybody upgrades their
> programs adequately.

With `maintain' I mean that we won't put new developments of FreeType
into it.  Of course we should assure that it is still compilable.

> After that, we'll probably disable them by default, but provide a
> "--enable-old-internals" configure option, just in case.

BTW, please add a lot of markers into the `internal' header files,
explaining which data structures and functions must stay unmodified
(w.r.t. size and calling conventions) for backwards compatibility.