Re: [ft-devel] Question about default SVG library integration in FreeTyp

From: Moazin Khatri
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Question about default SVG library integration in FreeType build system
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 21:50:13 +0500

Looks good, thanks.  What's still missing is my suggested fourth mode
(not present in the support for other libraries needed by FreeType),
namely the `no-default' option to have compiled-in SVG code without
providing a default library.

I have done this now. I have a few questions:

1. The `rules.mk' of the `svg' module compiles the port files.
That should only be compiled only if a default SVG port is
needed, otherwise not. So, my question was how do I
access this information (whether `yes'/`auto' was selected
or `no-default') in my `rules.mk'. The solution I am using
temporarily is, I create the placeholder for a new variable in
`unix-cc.in' called `COMPILE_SVG_PORT', this placeholder
gets filled by the script `configure.raw' and I can access this
variable from `rules.mk'. Let me know if there's a better
solution here.

2. A concern I have is that at the moment, the `includes' for
`librsvg' (my temporary default for experimentation) gets
appended to the variable `CFLAGS' in `configure.raw', the
same is the case for `harfbuzz' and `libpng' as well. However,
in the case of an SVG library, these `includes' are only
needed in the compilation of the default port, and nowhere
else. Would it be a good idea to create a separate variable
called `LIBRSVG_CFLAGS' in `unix-cc.in'? This way,
we can only use the flags where they are actually required.
Or would that be an overkill and isn't really important?

3. I want the `svg' module to not get compiled if `--with-svg'
was set to `no'. I could use a similar trick as in (1) but
`modules.cfg' gets included far before `unix-cc.mk' is.