Re: Accessing glyphs via symbol char map

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: Accessing glyphs via symbol char map
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 14:31:51 +0200

David Turner wrote:

> > > but there should be flag somethere to notice it if it is
> > > "symbol" font or "Unicode" font.
> > > >
> > > Well, I'd rather see it as the definition of a new enum like
> > > "ft_encoding_win_symbol", and some code in 'src/sfnt' to detect the
> > > 0xF000 shift in the mapping..
> > >
> > So default Charmap will not be Unicode for a such fonts?
> >
> If the font contains a Unicode charmap, it would be the default.

Such a font (with both a Unicode and a "Symbol" cmaps) are quite difficult
to use, ain't they? How can someone use this symbol cmap without resorting
to tools like core freetype? Perhaps TT2PK?

Can the people used to work with Illustrator and such tools comment?

> If the font would only contain a "Windows Symbol" font, I suggest
> to use it as a default.., but it will be tagged "ft_encoding_win_symbol",
> no "ft_encoding_unicode" (need to update the Tutorial when this is
> completed in source code)..
>
> Otherwise, beekk..

Another possibility (quite unlikely) is to have both a Symbol cmap and
some legacy Far East cmap...
Furthermore, such a font may prove usefull: Windows will probably use the
Symbol cmap in Europe, and the DBCS access in Far East version of Windows 9X.

Just a thought...

Antoine