Re: Accessing glyphs via symbol char map

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: Accessing glyphs via symbol char map
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 09:04:17 +0200

Hello Claudia,

> Hello David,
>
> I would like to load glyphs from windows fonts like Windings, Webdings,
> which only contains a windows symbol char map.
> So I select the symbol char map (FT_Select_Charmap
> (h_face,ft_encoding_symbol), and try load the char codes  32 - 255 without
> any conversion  via FT_Load_Char.
> Problem:
> The freetype function code_to_index4 expects character codes in the ranges
> of 0xF020 - 0xF07E, 0xF080 - 0xF0FF.
> If I add 0xF000 to each character code I  get correct glyph codes and can
> load the glyphs.
>
> Known problem, or should I do any char code conversions ?

Well, according to the TrueType specification, the "symbol" encoding is
used for "Undefined character set or indexing scheme". Basically, this
means that the application must know how the glyphs are encoded within
the fonts, or in this case, that you should add the 0xF000 yourself to
your application..

We could provide this automatic translation to the core library though,
because many (old) Windows font use this so-called encoding.

what's the opinion of other developers/users on the mailing list ??

Best Regards,

- David