Re: Off-topic -- Is anyone involved in the New Rendering Model project

From: Miles Lane
Subject: Re: Off-topic -- Is anyone involved in the New Rendering Model project at XFree86?
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 17:57:59 -0700

Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> >> There's a project underway at XFree86 to develop a state-of-the-art
> >> rendering model that supports rotated fonts, anti-aliasing, alpha-
> >> blending, etc.
>
> As you say, the XFree86 rendering list is the best place to speak
> about the new rendering extension.  This list is public: you don't
> need to be an XFree86 member to join.  Write to
> address@hidden
>
> The main designer of the extension is Keith Packard, address@hidden
>
> WL> Thanks for the pointer.  Currently, our contact person is Juliusz
> WL> Chroboczek <address@hidden>
>
> Am I?  Very honoured.
>
> I am indeed following the rendering developments closely; the only
> issues that have come up that were directly related to fonts were
> whether font rendering should be specified in a pixel-precise manner
> (after a lot of discussion, Keith has grudgingly accepted not to
> specify rasterisation up to the pixel) and whether sub-pixel glyph
> positioning should be allowed in the non-AA case (Keith decided to
> allow it but not to mandate it).
>
> While I do my best to keep current of the rendering issues, I think it
> would be a good idea for one or two of the FreeType maintainers to
> join the rendering list.

A question:  What do you think will happen to FreeType when the new
TrueType support is rolled out in XFree86?  Isn't it true that if
the support in XFree86 implements all the important ideas within
FreeType, that it'll make sense for FreeType to disappear (no offense
intended).  I think it's a good thing when the brightest minds in a
particular functional area pool their ideas and leverage the environment
that gives the broadest user benefit.

On the other hand, I guess there are some applications where it would
be best to have built-in support for font rendering.  It would be
interesting to know where you all think this is important and why.

Thanks,
        Miles