Re: Off-topic -- Is anyone involved in the New Rendering Model project

From: Joerg Pommnitz
Subject: Re: Off-topic -- Is anyone involved in the New Rendering Model project at XFree86?
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 12:19:59 +0200

> A question:  What do you think will happen to FreeType when the new
> TrueType support is rolled out in XFree86?  Isn't it true that if
> the support in XFree86 implements all the important ideas within
> FreeType, that it'll make sense for FreeType to disappear (no offense
> intended).

That's nonsense.
1.) FreeType is in no way specific to XFree86.
    There are font renderers based on FreeType for OS/2 and judging
    from older contributions for EPOC.
    This leaves out all the embedded uses of FreeType and the applications
    (think rendering of fonts for Web applications).

2.) FreeType is not longer a TrueType only engine.

3.) I'm not aware of a FreeType replacement being developed for XFree86.

> I think it's a good thing when the brightest minds in a
> particular functional area pool their ideas and leverage the environment
> that gives the broadest user benefit.

Right. "Broadest user benefit" and "XFree86 only" contradicts each other.

> On the other hand, I guess there are some applications where it would
> be best to have built-in support for font rendering.

You really should understand what FreeType really is. It is NOT
the XFree86 TrueType font engine. It is a all-purpose Font rendering
library that can be used everywhere an ANSI-C compiler is available.

The TrueType support in XFree86 is one of the applications of FreeType.
It is an important one, but by no means the onliest.

> It would be
> interesting to know where you all think this is important and why.

You really should look beyond the XFree86 horizon to understand
what FreeType is about. Just now it seems you have no idea what
you are talking about.