Re: Asian language fonts?

From: Owen Taylor
Subject: Re: Asian language fonts?
Date: 20 Jul 2000 16:29:50 -0400

"Allen Lin" <address@hidden> writes:

> Anyone know where I can get some Asian language truetype fonts which don't
> need to be run through an interpreter?  I just want to test their rendering.
> Is there some already established method to do this?

For Chinese, you can try the Arphic fonts:

 http://lwn.net/1999/1007/a/arphic.html

(I'm not sure what you mean by "run through an interpreter". These
 are normal TT fonts, with hinting.)

> Side Note: The game I'm working on will eventually be ported into Chinese
> and Japanese.  Are the Asian language errors in the auto-hinter something I
> should be concerned about?

I'd guess that it will eventually be extended to deal with
Asian language fonts. Proper hinting for Asian language fonts is
not more difficult to deal with than for Western fonts - it's
just different.

(If you try the auto-hinter on the Arphic fonts, you'll see
that it, indeed, does not work acceptably currently.)

Regards,
                                         Owen