Re: Crossposting (was Re: Asian language fonts?)

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: Crossposting (was Re: Asian language fonts?)
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 12:18:29 +0200

Hi,

Allen Lin wrote:

> I apologize to those of you on more than one list for any inconvenience
> cause by having to hit your delete key/button more than one.

Well, do not forget than some are also paying the communications to get
the mails.

> However, because not everyone is double-subscribed, and there's no telling
> who may have the information needed,

Except the charters... (see Peak's post)

> it is often necessary to post to more than one list.

I disagree about the "often". Yes, sometimes it is a requirement.
But systematically forking a discussion to both lists will quickly lead
to what Just proposed, merging the lists. With incresed traffic for single-
subscribers, too technical stuff for the basic subscribers of freetype@,
and too basic stuff for the subscribers of devel@, bad answers from "newbies"
to tricky technical questions (in other words, = lowered S/N ratio).

I cannot decide whether this is a good or a bad thing. But I think that
imponing it is a problem.

Back to your specific point ("I do not know where are the potential
answerers"), I believe there are some worth points:

- if you do not know, post to freetype@, I do not believe there are too
many people that only subscribes devel@ (David, can you confirm/infirm?)

- if you really need to post at both, indicates the one where you want
the discussion to continue (and perhaps place the headers accordingly).
We have the same behaviour in Usenet, where people who crosspost are
requested to use an unique follow-up. People are good enough to indicates
that they do not subscribe the following-up list, and further repondants
are kind enough to cc:-ing them in later exchanges.

Werner answered you:
> Hmm, your questions are basically related to development, so the
> devel@ list is the right one, I think...

I agree, but in the particular case here (Asian fonts), I think freetype@
was the correct one!

Antoine