Re: Asian language fonts?

From: Anthony Fok
Subject: Re: Asian language fonts?
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 17:43:17 -0600

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 04:25:31PM -0700, Pedriana, Paul wrote:
> Can somebody tell me why every time somebody
> releases one of those Asian fonts the western
> characters in those fonts (i.e. "a, b, c")
> look so butt-ugly!?

I share your sentiments.

However, also remember the constraints that they have to work with.
Those western glyphs are supposed to be monospaced.  The halfwidth
ones must have a width exactly half of a Chinese glyphs, i.e. half
a square.  Then, there are the fullwidth ones that have to fill a
square exactly.  That is so that everything would align nicely on, say,
a 80x24 or 80x25 text console or terminal window.

These are some of the reasons.  Nonetheless, please do give them a
break.  Arphic Technology and Dr. Wang have generously donated the
fonts under a free software license (Arphic Public License and the GNU
GPL) to the Free Software and the Open Source Software community.
Besides, I haven't seen any other CJK fonts where the western glyphs
are any prettier.

Regards,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
address@hidden, address@hidden    University of Alberta, Canada