Re: [Fsfe-uk] MSN Thought Thieves

From: Lee Braiden
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] MSN Thought Thieves
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 10:50:17 +0100

On Saturday 14 May 2005 10:13, Alex Hudson wrote:
>       http://www.msn.co.uk/thoughtthieves/

Nope, but.. Microsoft?  Trying to get people to make IP propaganda for them?
I'll be trying to keep it at a good distance :)

> They're looking for short films (30sec<>45sec) on the subject of theft
> of intellectual property.

I think their motivations here are pretty clear.

> Ideas I have for the film already:
>       * Everyone is thieving intellectual property. IP rights protection
>         has been removed by popular demand, and people are free to share
>         anything. Everyone is happy.

I'm not sure that *no* IP is a good way to protect societal rights regarding
IP.  The issue is that IP should belong to all of society, rather than to
individuals and corporations, imho.

> Obviously, there is an issue with winners being required to sign over IP
> rights to Microsoft, but this project would be done with the intention
> that we wouldn't win.

I can't see any way to participate in this without legitimising Microsoft's
unethical approach to IP, but if you're determined to go ahead with it, you
might want to look into a project involving the Linux-movies mailing list,
along with K-3D and some other groups, to develop a feature-length film
entirely using Free Software tools.

--
Lee.