[Fsfe-uk] Hosting for Sixth Form College student Wordpress install

From: A. S. Bradbury
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Hosting for Sixth Form College student Wordpress install
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 22:05:54 +0100

Apologies if this is not completely on-topic, though I think this is a topic
many readers of this list may have some knowledge of. I attend a UK Sixth
Form College that currently has no form of student-run publication. The
traditional 'student newspaper' concept isn't likely to work for a variety of
reasons, and there is interest in being a little more experimental, setting
up more of a collaborative weblog. The plan is to set up Wordpress, accept
submissions, publish regularly and allow comments. Informed debate forms and
creative arguments are published, and everyone is happy - or at least that's
the plan. The problem is that there's no way the student council can get the
required level of hosting on the college's internal server (the admin is
concerned about security...).

This leaves only the option of external hosting. Hosted blogs such as blogger
are too inflexible. It should be fairly low traffic, low-bandwidth and
wouldn't be too expensive. It's just hard to get people to agree to allowing
the funds to be spent without an idea of what we might achieve and the
success it would gain. Ideally, I'm interested if anyone knows of a UK web
hosting company or organisation with some web space that would be interested
in helping to enable this project to go forward at no cost? Sorry that this
post is quickly written. Please reply with any
comments/questions/suggestions/offers for help either to the list or to me
personally.

Regards,
Alex Bradbury