Re: [Fsfe-uk] Hosting for Sixth Form College student Wordpress install

From: Clive Menzies
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Hosting for Sixth Form College student Wordpress install
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 23:15:59 +0100

On (28/09/05 22:05), A. S. Bradbury wrote:
> Apologies if this is not completely on-topic, though I think this is a topic
> many readers of this list may have some knowledge of. I attend a UK Sixth
> Form College that currently has no form of student-run publication. The
> traditional 'student newspaper' concept isn't likely to work for a variety of
> reasons, and there is interest in being a little more experimental, setting
> up more of a collaborative weblog. The plan is to set up Wordpress, accept
> submissions, publish regularly and allow comments. Informed debate forms and
> creative arguments are published, and everyone is happy - or at least that's
> the plan. The problem is that there's no way the student council can get the
> required level of hosting on the college's internal server (the admin is
> concerned about security...).
>
> This leaves only the option of external hosting. Hosted blogs such as blogger
> are too inflexible. It should be fairly low traffic, low-bandwidth and
> wouldn't be too expensive. It's just hard to get people to agree to allowing
> the funds to be spent without an idea of what we might achieve and the
> success it would gain. Ideally, I'm interested if anyone knows of a UK web
> hosting company or organisation with some web space that would be interested
> in helping to enable this project to go forward at no cost? Sorry that this
> post is quickly written. Please reply with any
> comments/questions/suggestions/offers for help either to the list or to me
> personally.

I'm not sure whether this will help but we've been evaluating content
management systems for a client; we installed and tried plone,
PHPwebsite, drupal and joomla (from the ex-mambo developers).  Long
story short, we're recommending Joomla for a variety of reasons; when
looking at hosting, we came across http://www.netshinesoftware.com who
seem close to the joomla project.  Netshine offers competitive hosting
and may see supporting you as a worthwhile PR exercise ultimately
expanding their userbase.

Joomla would be an ideal platform on which to build your student
newspaper.

Worth a try?

Regards

Clive