Re: [Fsfe-uk] GPL licence untested, authors could lose their rights in U

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] GPL licence untested, authors could lose their rights in UK
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:00:59 +0100

Ian Lynch <address@hidden>
> On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 07:27 +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> > More expensive? Here on the fringe of a region, the venues seem
> > far cheaper than London, as far as I can tell. Even if you go
> > somewhere inland with fast links to most of the other centres
> > and subcentres in the region, it's still pretty cheap.
>
> Ever tried to travel from say Birmingham to Ipswich or Norwich? Try
> Carlisle. Its much easier to get to London. Even getting to Cambridge
> from here by train means going to London first.

Yes, I've done those journeys. By train, Birmingham to Ipswich
or Norwich is one change at Ely (from a service to Stansted onto
one from either Liverpool or Cambridge). Birmingham to Cambridge
is a direct service. By road, it's M6 and A14/A11. No need to
visit London, unless you want to. Not sure about Carlisle.

It may be more *obvious* to London than between regions, but not
*easier*, as many London transport routes are full near capacity
(see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4830370.stm ),
especially to get there for a breakfast meeting. When they're
not, they get blocked by engineering (both Cambridge-London train
lines were out last weekend, for example). Also, a number of
firms are based in East Anglia to get away from London, which
is a trend that has been happening for over 50 years.

I was describing travel *within* this region, anyway. If it's
a software-related multi-centre event, it makes sense to put
one in Cambridgeshire, close to the target audience. Although
it's not my scene, UKTI seem to have it right by holding one of
their Technology World events near Cambridge *and* one in London.

Giving the East of England a choice between London and Birmingham
suggests organisers don't want this region's developers there.
--
MJ Ray - personal email, see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
Work: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/  irc.oftc.net/slef  Jabber/SIP ask