gdb-discuss

Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules

From: Andrew Cagney
Subject: Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 15:23:19 -0500

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 11:50:07AM -0500, Andrew Cagney wrote:

>On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 11:14:39AM -0500, Andrew Cagney wrote:
>

>>Finally, and most importantly, I think during 2003 it became apparent >>that GDB's community (as identified by those participating in GDB's >>development processes - reviewing and contributing patches, engaging in >>disucssion, testing, ...) was, for the first time, being dominated by >>non-"Cygnus" players. Assuming this state of play continues, we should >>finally be able to slay the "Cygnus controls and dominates GDB" dragon.

>I would say, was being less dominated by "Cygnus" players, ...

I said that I didn't see this as a problem.  If you want to pursue it,
for some reason:

More than half of the committed patches for the last year come from Red
Hat employees.  Of course, you're single-handedly responsible for that
statistic.  Of the top fourteen contributors, that's everyone with more
than twenty committed patches in 2003, almost sixty percent are Red Hat
employees.

Like many others, I now find myself marked permenantly with the "ex-Cygnus" brand :-( I'm now paid by a very different organization.

This was also mentioned here.
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gdbheads/2004-01/msg00002.html

Simple rough Commit count (which ignores review activity, and doc/ testsuite/ directories) shows:

        475 AndrewC (-)
        127 MarkK
        111 DanielJ
         60 DavidC
         44 ElenaZ (-)
         44 KevinB (*)
         39 MichaelC (-)
         37 JeffJ (-)
         35 JimB (*)
         32 CorinnaV (*)
         27 MichaelS (*)
         ..

(- ex-Cygnus, * Cygnus) you get the picture.

Andrew