Re: [glob2-devel] patch with improvements: brushes (6), fix AI cheating

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] patch with improvements: brushes (6), fix AI cheating (2), explorers (4), other GUI (7)
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 13:59:22 +0200

Joe Wells wrote:
(i want farming areas)

What do you mean by that?

an area brush i can strike over an area and automatically get checkerboard forbidden with the effect of clearing flags so wheat (wood) expands and all other get cleared possibly switching to semi-checkerboard as soon as expansion worked.

if i don't want my globs to go to some area i paint it as cutting it
off
makes the globs already in the area stay there.

cutting off=forbid the frontier only. not the whole area as this might be a lot of painting. nevermind :)

no effect means you click 3red on 3red. that would mean remove 3 red.
if you click with all effect or with little effect (3red on 2 red) it
takes the chosen effect.

Good idea.  You want to implement it?  :-)

hehe! that would meen stop talking and touching code ...

Actually, that's a nice idea.  A shape distinction would be easy,
because there is already code for rectangles and circles.  Rectangles
could mean adding and circles could mean deleting.  That would need
only minimal programming.

how about little pluses and minuses in red/blue/yellow? that would be user friendly ;)

The issue is that an explorer's hit points are an important part of
its range.  The range of an explorer is food+hitpoints.  You often see
an explorer returning from a long trip arriving at the inn with less
than 10 hit points because it was starving on the way, even though it
was fully healed when it left on its trip.

ok. i believe you

Basically, I use 2.41 instead of 2 in one place, because 2.41 is the
mathematically correct value.
in what place ecxactly?

Search for “241” in Unit.cpp.  I have added a comment with the
mathematical explanation.

for explorers going for some target this should not speed up things as they always will go abs(dx-dy) straight and min(dx,dy) diagonally.
for random movement=exploration this might speed things up.

Don't have time to try now.  I had to delete all my glob2 stuff to
make sure I don't spend any of my extra time on it for the next few
weeks.

:/// that's sad news. i hoped to see a new glob2 guru.

now i found another problem: direction keys don't work anymore. i need
cell-wise arrow keys to paint forbidden areas on straigh lines.

Can you describe this a bit more?  What used to work?  And what
happens now?

nothing happens on direction keys.

???? please clearify
With my patch, when I set this environment variable, I have to hold
down the control key while using the “scroll wheel” to change
requested worker numbers.  The problem is that I don't actually have a
scroll wheel, but instead I have a touchpad which simulates a scroll
wheel using a small strip on the right edge of the touchpad.  This
means without my patch I get *lots* of accidental adjustments to the
requested worker numbers.
can this go into basic settings? environment variable sound complicated for
noobs.

You are correct: this kind of thing should go into the settings.  I
don't know how to do that and I don't have time right now to figure it
out.  But I desperately needed the fix, so I did something.

will see what i can do. that's one of the more ugly parts for my taste.

Also i will have to upload the new tiles and test for different dimmnesses what i would need new tiles again!?

Leo Wandersleb