[glob2-devel] Net Development Update

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: [glob2-devel] Net Development Update
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 23:27:14 -0400

After allot of frantic coding, and allot of thinking it would never end, I'm actually almost done the new networking system. The code atleast. I've not really tested well and there are still several bugs that I am aware of, but I've almost achieved a feature-match with our old system, and I will soon need to bring some people together to do some mainsteam testing of the system.

Heres whats done:
    The login screen is pretty much complete. Actual password checking and registration isn't implemented on the server side and thus you will never be refused a connection
    The YOG screen where you can pick and choose a game is completed, except that I'm not sure, graphically, what to do when the connection is lost. I could just exit to the main menu, but that would seem very random. Should I show a text box saying "The connection was lost" after going back to the main menu?
    The game-join screen is where things are more iffy. Text messages can be sent but the server won't distribute them, rendering them useless. Incoming messages are fine. Players can join, but I don't think they can quit safely. You can create an AI but this hasn't been tested. Kicking players will remove them locally, but the kicked player won't be informed they where kicked, they will just notice their name vanish from the list. Maps should be distributed to the players but again, this hasn't been well tested. There are a few other un-tied ends here.
     In game stuff wasn't actually difficult to do. Aside from latency adjustment, it should work, although without the latency adjustments it will likely pause allot for the messages to be. I don't believe the game shows the "waiting for player" message when its waiting. I don't think the game crashes on desynchronizations yet. I also haven't delt with players leaving a game while its running, and for lost connections.

So there are a few things left to do but I'm making time. For the time being, we will leave the system as completely YOG-routed, including voice. I know this may seem god awefull to some but I don't think the voice feature has ever been used out side of developer testing. It involves a microphone, the desire to set it up, and the desire to get it to work on your operating system, which is far beyond our common end-user. If bandwidth does become a problem (which i doubt), then I can make it priority to do multi-casted P2P routing. Otherwise, this will be left for a future release.

In terms of cleanup, there are a few classes I still want to reorganize before I consider my core rewrite complete, namely GameGUI. GameGUI is our largest, and hardest to follow file, simply by the sheer quantity of code it possesses and the number of features that have found their way into it.

--
Really. I'm not lieing. Bradley Arsenault.