Re: [glob2-devel] Installation problems

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Installation problems
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 15:51:40 -0400

On 9/9/07, Vincent Deffontaines <address@hidden> wrote:
Greetings,

It has been a very long time since I played glob2, so I decided it was
time to go for it again.
Downloaded 0.9.1 tar.gz, since the link
( http://www.globulation2.org/wiki/Download_and_Install#downloadlink_debian1)
to the debian package points to nowhere but the "install page".

I am not at all familiar with scons, and I don't believe many people out
there are. Therefore, I think you guys should fix the INSTALL file, which
states one should run "./install" to install the game, while no
"./install" script exists in the source tree. I found out running "scons
install" should do the job. Also, if one should run "syncdata" and
"syncmaps" at install time, this should be mentionned in INSTALL.

But anyway, "scons install" actually doesn't work for me either :
$su -c "scons install"
[Installs a bunch of stuff...]
Install file: "data/zik/a2.ogg" as "/usr/local/share/glob2/data/zik/a2.ogg"
Install file: "data/zik/a3.ogg" as "/usr/local/share/glob2/data/zik/a3.ogg"
Install file: "data/zik/intro.ogg" as
"/usr/local/share/glob2/data/zik/intro.ogg"
Install file: "data/zik/menu.ogg" as
"/usr/local/share/glob2/data/zik/menu.ogg"
scons: *** Source `data/glob2.desktop' not found, needed by target
`/usr/local/share/applications/glob2.desktop'.  Stop.

I dont know how critical this problem is, nor do I know how to fix it. But
the result is that the game is about half installed on my system, and I
don't seem to have a glob2 command to run.

I guess I'll try again with beta2/whatever next release.

Hope this helps get you guys more successful testers.

Vincent

--
On sait qu'une cité va devenir grande quand on y voit les anciens planter
des arbres, alors qu'ils savent qu'ils ne profiteront jamais de leur

Proverbe Grec

It seems our `scons dist` command must be missing this important file. Its a simple mistake. On the account that its blocking installations, we will have to do Beta 2 soon, or a supplementary Beta 1.1 release of some sort.

--
Extra cheese comes at a cost. Bradley Arsenault.