Re: [glob2-devel] Installation problems

From: Kieran P
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Installation problems
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 10:14:17 +1200

> Downloaded 0.9.1 tar.gz, since the link (http://www.globulation2.org/wiki/Download_and_Install#downloadlink_debian1) to the debian package points to nowhere but the "install page".

When the package doesn't exist, it wont link. When a Debian package is made, then it will be linked correctly. For now, only source and windows binaries exist.

> Therefore, I think you guys should fix the INSTALL file, which states one should run "./install" to install the game, while no "./install" script exists in the source tree.

Ah, the ./install name was changed shortly after than file was edited. I'll make the corrections.

> Also, if one should run "syncdata" and "syncmaps" at install time, this should be mentionned in INSTALL.

No they don't. Only source clones from the development SCMS (Mercurial) need syncmaps and syncdata to be run. When distributions are made, they come with the data, maps, and campaigns. So you dont need to worry about syncmaps and syncdata (probably dont need to be in the distribution, changing.....).

> scons: *** Source `data/glob2.desktop' not found, needed by target `/usr/local/share/applications/glob2.desktop'.  Stop.
> scons: building terminated because of errors.

Hmm, thats strange. When I built the package, it didn't do this for me. I'll see whats going on and fix it.

> I guess I'll try again with beta2/whatever next release.

I'll just update the source file with the updated release ASAP. I dont think a new version will be 100% necessary (just a few news posts to tell people its been updated). Or I might use  Brad suggestion (calling it Beta 1.1). The windows release still works perfectly fine though (so I wont need to update that one, its purely problems with the source).

Regards
Kieran