Re: [glob2-devel] Graphics bug : background of menu and no graphics in g

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Graphics bug : background of menu and no graphics in game
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 10:17:46 +0100

Hi,

> This is a bug i've introduced with
> http://hg.globulation2.org/glob2/rev/ff32879076ae This patch seriously
> speeds up cloud/overlay rendering (almost doubles the total speed at my
> box) at the cost of at least two serious bugs. one is the missing overlay
> in the menue (how can this be different to the in game one?? and the other
> broken clouds when the viewport is scrolled to some special 1% of the map.

I've had a quick look at your code: the bug might be related by the removal of
the managed GL state code:
        glState.doBlend(1);
        glState.doTexture(0);
I do not remember exactly why, but I had to keep the current GL state, in
order to restore it at some point later. You have removed these calls and
accessed GL states directly by using glEnable(...), this is certainly the
cause of the bugs.

> > Another issue, which certainly is a bug, is that now when using high
> > quality,
> > the in-game graphics (terrain, units, and buildings) do not appear
> > anymore. I
>
> haven't seen that one. ??

It only appears when using I915 on my laptop, not when using a NVidia card;
however, 0.9.2 is almost bug free from a graphical point of view on my I915
laptop. We should test extensively graphic code before merging it in default.

By the way, if we want to speed up drawing when using accelerated code, and in
the same time remove some graphics bug some people have, we should render
graph stats in software on a DrawableSurface, and then blit it on the screen.

However, I cannot do this now as default is broken :-(

Have a nice day,

Steph

--
http://stephane.magnenat.net