Re: [glob2-devel] Hg cleanup status

From: Michael [Plouj] Ploujnikov
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Hg cleanup status
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 17:17:32 -0500

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 7:08 AM, Stéphane Magnenat
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 November 2008 10:22:16 Leo Wandersleb wrote:
>> Stéphane Magnenat wrote:
>> > What is the status of the hg cleanup of the wrongly commited files? I
>> > will be in traveling next week so I would like to have useable glob2 tree
>> > ;-)
>>
>> http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/Strip
>> would, if aplied on 697e24c18cc6 remove this branch.
>> unfortunately it would remove all the wanted changes, too.
>> didn't test what happens if a new branch was created to contain
>> the wanted results before stripping.
>> testing is not dangerous as a backup is written automatically that
>> can be restored easily.
>>
>> The "strip" has to be done directly on the server repo as the result
>> obviously can't be a committable changeset
>>
>> Also all committers should avoid recommitting those changes but
>> i guess that part is manageable with only a hand full of devs.
>
> Ok, but concretely, who does what? If I understand correctly, there is not
> much more things below 697e24c18cc6 than file moves? What I think is that we
> could make a patch consisting of all wanted moves, and then strip the branch.

As far as I can see, there are currently 9 commits after 697e24c18cc6
(http://hg.globulation2.org/glob2/log/3890).

> It would be nice if people feeling very fluent with hg could do this. I can
> assist by uploading the result or running the commands on hg.globulation2.org

The fact that I use Mercurial extensively at work and have experience
editing my own private repository histories is exactly why I am so
strongly opposed to editing the public glob2 history. Apart from the
actual history modification, whoever takes on this task will have to
troubleshoot and provide support to all people whose repositories will
be affected by this change (yes, this might even be non-trivial for
you developers!). You would also have to post a note on the wiki for
everyone who has already pulled the repository in the past. I predict
that some people, with less patience, will simply be too annoyed by
this to give any more attention/contributions/support to glob2.

I strongly suggest that, in this case, you guys really consider how
much work this action is going to require and just decide to go the
easier route. Since Kieran already committed a change (9ff115d7065a)
that removes the unwanted files, you don't have to do anything else!
By the way, Kieran did essentialy what is the recommended solution for
this problem (http://hgbook.red-bean.com/hgbookch9.html#x13-1860009.4)

I hope this helps.

--
Michael Ploujnikov