Re: [Gnash-dev] what is 'klash' ?

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] what is 'klash' ?
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 12:00:34 -0700

Markus Gothe wrote:

> Well, OpenGL is for 2D as well as 3D and is hw-driven in both cases if
> your hw/driver supports it. I can tell that playing elvis.swf on my SGI
> Octane2 (OGL implemented in the HW, no headers etc...) with AGG takes

  Most people don't have an SGI Octane2 sitting in their house... :-) We
need to compare on a standard PC with Nvidia or ATI binary blob drivers
unfortunately.

> out; AGG has some aspects that isn't implemented (yet!) in the
> OGL-backend. But since it seems to me that most of you guys prefer the
> AGG I think we should make it default (how democratic of me ;-)).

  Actually the version of AGG in all the distributions is a potential
show stopper, as we don't want to require anyone to build AGG from
source to build Gnash. So we're still brainstorming. One big advantage
OpenGL has is simply that was how the last release went out, so that's
what people expect.

> Software OGL is usually implemented by MESA and is a *real* CPU-hog...
> Don't go there!

  Tell me about it... That's how I run all the time cause I dislike
binary blobs in free software.