Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 09:09:47 -0700

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 03:15:01PM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

>  we need strict commits, or at least I do personally.

I'm not seeing how "strict commits" is in any way related to the tagging
method.

The behavior of arch in regards to unknown files is specified
differently than the tagging method (at least now).  What is it you are
trying to catch by your "strict commits"?

I think what you want is to make sure that your commits are "clean", and
only check in things that you wanted to.

I always run a tla what-changed before a commit, to catch any edits I
didn't want.  Short of requiring a "tla edit" before any file can be
edited, there is no way for the tool to know about files edited.

Adding a new file is going to be part of the commit only if you 'tla
add' for an explicit tag, or put a tag into the file.  Either way,
you've done something explicit, and it will be caught in the
what-changed.

If you set the =tagging-method up right, any other files that show up
will cause tree-lint to fail, and tla will abort the commit.

Dave