Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 00:53:16 +0200

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 04:21:32PM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> Florian Weimer <address@hidden> writes:
> > > Personally what _I'd_ like to see is a universal standard for taglines,
> >
> > But taglines are only important for a very limited set of version
> > control systems (those who try to track the identity of files not just
> > by their names, but do _not_ track file history through copying).
>
> This includes bitkeeper, AFIK*, so it seems worthwhile none-the-less.
>
> * I forget exactly what they call it, but I recall reading that BK has
>   the concept of a file `inode number' that seemed to roughly correspond
>   to an arch id-tag.

oh actually you could really use the inode number to track down the
_moves_ of the file, that should work fine, but the problem is that if a
file is deleted and then recreated it could get the same inode number
again, despite it's a new unrelated file.

Andrea - If you prefer relying on open source software, check these links:
            rsync.kernel.org::pub/scm/linux/kernel/bkcvs/linux-2.[45]/
            http://www.cobite.com/cvsps/