Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Public Arch servers

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Public Arch servers
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 15:52:21 -0400

> On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 02:45:03AM -0400, James Blackwell wrote:
>> of people could be. Then, as I got older, I empirically came to
>> understand two fundamental truths:=20
>>=20
>>     1. Most people are not only poorly educated, but are ironically
>>     proud of their poor education.
>
> *ahem*. In your country, or the region you're familiar with, maybe.
> Maybe.
>
> (*stifles the urge to hazard a guess at what country you're from* ;)

We both know which country I'm in. The good ole US of A. However, I have
personally observed similiar behavior in: Malaysia, Thailand,
United Arab Emerates and Saudi Arabia. Though I haven't been there
personally, I've heard of similiar behavior in Australia and African and
South American countries.

> Certainly not true everywhere.

I know better than to take on an argument that argues 'somewhere, there
is an exception to a generalized rule'. Of *course* you're probably
right. Somewhere there is possibly an example of a working democracy.

My argument isn't that democrocies always fail. My argument is that
people are generally so adverse to thinking that democracies usually
fail.

>>     2. Any democratically managed entity is going to be ruled by the
>>     people in #1.
>
> We were talking about gna.org, where the criteria for voting is having
> done significant sysadmin/development work, recently, on the site admin pro=
> ject.

Then its not a democracy, but a meritocracy.