Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: category version limited to digits and dots

From: Milan Cvetkovic
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: category version limited to digits and dots
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 10:01:39 -0400

Miles Bader wrote:
Milan Cvetkovic <address@hidden> writes:

So, I want to say "lets see all the branches project release v1"

$ tla abrowse project--v1
  project
    project--v1-release
      project--v1-release--1.0
      project--v1-release--1.1

but wait, I didn't want v1.1 - I only wanted v1 !

I presume you meant `rbrowse' (where the limit term is a regular
expression), not `abrowse' (wher it's not); then:

No, I actually meant "tla abrowse project--v1-release" (abrowse with limit, limit to second component)

   tla rbrowse project--v1-

should do what you want.

Yes, it does it, but again, with 1.0 and 1.1 next to each other.

I would probably have to think over the exact regex for rbrowse - somewhere along the line of "project--v1-.*--1\.0" This is very annoying if you have slow cycles, where you have say dozens of patch releases before you release the next major one.

tla abrowse, I would like to group branches related to devo-3.0 or stable-2.0. Nobody is interested any more for 1.0 and its patches - it is in the archive for historical reasons.

   tla rbrowse 'project--v[23]\.0-'

Now I know why this limitation is there (ability to do "tla get proj--branch"), but I still wish it weren't. :-)

I'm with you:  even though I find the current syntax pretty usable, I
wish arch had a more flexible syntax that allowed arbitrarily nested
components, with `version' components going anywhere the user chooses.

Syntax is OK - three components of the proj/version/branch are normally enough - if given the choice to move them around.

This wouldn't be too hard to do, if starting from scratch -- but we're
not starting from scratch.  For better or for worse, arch uses the
syntax it uses; changing it is a Big Deal, and basically isn't going to
happen.  So things go...

I don't see it being "Big Deal" though, since I see "not limiting version to [0-9\.]" order of magnitude more usuful than "only allow [0-9\.] in order to do "tla get proj--branch"

Thanks, Milan.

-Miles