Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch Roadmap Draft (the anticipated part 3)

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch Roadmap Draft (the anticipated part 3)
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 19:11:39 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: address@hidden (James Blackwell)

    > I suggest the following format for a merge request:

    > archive-location: (optional) http://bitmovers.com/archives/subvert-thyself
    > archive-name: address@hidden
    > contact: (optional) address@hidden
    > merge-patches: patch-10, patch-15..patch-20

I don't think so.   I think it makes more sense to require people to
make branches for submissions so that the merge technique is always
either replay of all patches on a branch or star merge or something
like that.

Those kind of cherry-picking merge requests centralize the labor
requirements to sort them out -- that won't scale.

Requiring submitters to make a branch for each request (roughly
speaking) distributes the labor -- that will scale.

     > [long point-by-points]

Save those thoughts for the individual threads they'll be relevent in.