Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch Roadmap Draft (the anticipated part 3)

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch Roadmap Draft (the anticipated part 3)
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 21:16:09 -0700 (PDT)

http://bitmovers.com/archives/subvert-thyself
    > >> archive-name: address@hidden
    > >> contact: (optional) address@hidden
    > >> merge-patches: patch-10, patch-15..patch-20

    > Tom Lord wrote:
    > > I don't think so.   I think it makes more sense to require people to
    > > make branches for submissions so that the merge technique is always
    > > either replay of all patches on a branch or star merge or something
    > > like that.

    >  From the perspective of a patch submitter, I do think so. I think this
    > format handles a wide variety of development styles, including
    > what I think you mean by "submission branches".

    > But while we're on the subject of "submission branches", I think they're
    > a bad idea. Sure, "submission branches" make your job a lot easier. Did
    > you stop to consider whether "submission branches" make the work of
    > submitters easier or more difficult?

Stopped, considered, and made feature plans to make sure that it'll be
easy.

    > I've tried "submission branches" and in my experience they're a pain in
    > the rear. I personally suspect that you're pushing "submission branches"
    > as a political tool to discourage diverging (and eventually forking)
    > branches. What better way to control development, then to encourage
    > submitters to keep their patches scattered around in different branches?
    > That way, patches aren't concentrated into development trees that pose a
    > potential threat to tla (a.k.a. "Tom Lord's Arch").

You are wrong and are being rude.

    > >      > [long point-by-points]

    > > Save those thoughts for the individual threads they'll be relevent in.

    > Pardon? Are you telling me what to think when?

Um...  no.  I'm saying that if you want me to consider those points in
detail you should remember them until it's closer to the time to work
on those details.