[Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch on windows?

From: Ron Parker
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch on windows?
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:34:54 -0500

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:16:29 -0500, John Meinel <address@hidden> wrote:

> Well, I just did a check on the MAC here in the office. And when using
> Journaled HFS+, I made a path with > 900 characters and had no problems.
> When I went > ~1000 the shell started complaining that getcwd "Cannot
> access parent directories: Result too large".
> So my guess is that either bash or the filesystem doesn't support > 1024
> characters. This is a heck of a lot better than 256, so we may not have
> problems under Mac, and maybe the only thing that needs patching is the
> Win32 port.

That would seem to match what little I was able to google for. I would
personally consider 1024 close to a non-issue. I was doing my =dirname
work on a Mac because it's more physically portable than my Linux box
and I wanted working archives, while progressing on code that could be
used on Windows.

This still leaves the two issues of packaging a source distribution
with a coherant arch data on a Windows machine and serving an archive
on the web from a Windows machine.