Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:38:36 -0400

Pierce Wetter wrote:
>   What if a large scale power outage in  California completely unrelated
> to a terrorist attack prevented everyone in LA and the Bay Area from
> voting, because the new-fangled voting machines didn't work? With 95
> electoral votes, that's 20% of the whole... It would make sense to have
> a "do-over" in that case, even though California will probably go to
> Kerry.

I actually agree with you Pierce. There certainly are circumstances in
which slightly delaying an election can have value in reducing and/or
eliminating voting disenfranchisement.

My bet is that the worry is that a few people in power (one in
particular -- dubya) that would suspend elections for a long period of
time over a small terrorist matter. If a mall in Nowhere, USA got blown
up, the powers that be are probably (reasonably!) worried that public
sentiment would swing heavily in the opposition's favor. The only way to
retain power would be to put off elections until people settle down and
hope that they would be "more sane".

Personally, I think this is what the second amendment is *all* about. A
well armed populace is the _only_ control against a runaway government.
Unfortunately, the general populace doesn't understand this, and gun
rights have deteriorated into a sad state of affairs.