[Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: 12 Jul 2004 16:00:38 -0400

>> What if a large scale power outage in  California completely unrelated
>> to a terrorist attack prevented everyone in LA and the Bay Area from
>> voting, because the new-fangled voting machines didn't work? With 95
>> electoral votes, that's 20% of the whole... It would make sense to have
>> a "do-over" in that case, even though California will probably go to
>> Kerry.

> I actually agree with you Pierce. There certainly are circumstances in
> which slightly delaying an election can have value in reducing and/or
> eliminating voting disenfranchisement.

Indeed.  And as a matter of fact, such things have already happened, and
the necessary measures were taken.

So the question is not "is it good/bad to allow postponement", but rather
"why do they feel like there's a need for a new law about it, and why did
they relate it to terrorism rather than catastrophes".

        Stefan