Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:33:26 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: "Pierce T.Wetter III" <address@hidden>

    >   A month later, 3,000 people are dead, our stock market is in a
    > shambles, and wherever you go, you see pissed off Americans waving
    > flags.

    >   That was the moment that the US was closest to facism. We're a little
    > calmer now, but at the same time, when I think about 9/11 I get pissed
    > off all over again. One thing most Europeans don't realize so much is
    > that Bush took a very measured response given the feeling in the
    > country at the time. We would have been perfectly accepting if he'd
    > nuked someone.

That's highly unlikely, in my opinion, and, objectively, is very far
from certain.

I think there would have been a shutdown of every major university,
several major cities, and general chaos.  After all, a comparatively
_minor_ engagement (US in Iraq) has come about as close to that
outcome as one can come without actually reaching that state.