Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: Pierce T . Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:22:36 -0700

On Jul 20, 2004, at 2:31 PM, Robin Green wrote:

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 12:50:50PM -0700, Pierce T. Wetter III wrote:
<sigh> I dealt with this earlier. Iraq was a soviet client state, there
was no way we would sell him hi-tech weapons.

The reality:

http://www.sundayherald.com/27572
"How did Iraq get its weapons? We sold them"

http://www.lizmichael.com/weapons.htm
"List of US businesses that sold weapons to Saddam Hussein"

And

http://www.progressive.org/0901/anth0498.html
"Anthrax for Export"

"Most Americans listening to the President did not know that the United States supplied Iraq with much of the raw material for creating a chemical and biological warfare program. Nor did the media report that U.S. companies sold Iraq more than $1 billion worth of the components needed to build nuclear weapons and diverse types of missiles, including the infamous Scud.

"When Iraq engaged in chemical and biological warfare in the 1980s, barely a peep of moral outrage could be heard from Washington, as it kept supplying Saddam with the materials he needed to build weapons."

Thank you for digging up this information, and taking time to respond. These are all very good links.

So reading through these, it seems to confirm what I've read elsewhere that the US provided a lot of "dual-use" items, but no actual weapons. Two especially damning quotes:

Other corporations recognized the military potential of their goods but considered it the government's job to worry about it. "Every once in a while you kind of wonder when you sell something to a certain country," said Robert Finney, president of Electronic Associates, Inc., which supplied Saad 16 with a powerful computer that could be used for missile testing and development. "But it's not up to us to make foreign policy,"

"If an item was in dispute, my attitude was if they were readily available from other markets, I didn't see why we should deprive American markets,"

 Which just reeks of incompetence.

So you probably read these as a very strong indication of the US creating our own problem. I'd have to agree that's very true for as far as these articles go, and I won't bother to quibble with you on dual-use items vs. actual weapons. I think that's where we have to agree to disagree.

But do you think then that countries who sold actual weapons, even more components, and did other things for Iraq during this period should bear some of the blame for Saddam? Or is the US uniquely responsible?

This continues the usual pattern. At the height of the Indonesian genocide in East Timor in the late 1970s, the US stepped up arms sales to Indonesia.

Yep. I really don't know that we were thinking of in Indonesia. Perhaps we just weren't thinking. It seems to be a little bit too easy to get an export
license...

 Pierce