Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: Pierce T . Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:34:48 -0700

From: "Pierce T.Wetter III" <address@hidden>

  A month later, 3,000 people are dead, our stock market is in a
shambles, and wherever you go, you see pissed off Americans waving
flags.

That was the moment that the US was closest to facism. We're a little
calmer now, but at the same time, when I think about 9/11 I get pissed
off all over again. One thing most Europeans don't realize so much is
that Bush took a very measured response given the feeling in the
country at the time. We would have been perfectly accepting if he'd
nuked someone.

That's highly unlikely, in my opinion, and, objectively, is very far
from certain.

I think there would have been a shutdown of every major university,
several major cities, and general chaos.  After all, a comparatively
_minor_ engagement (US in Iraq) has come about as close to that
outcome as one can come without actually reaching that state.

Yeah, but its quite a bit later now. We were pretty quiet about Aphghanistan. I don't think we were everthat close, but we were pretty angry, upset, depressed, etc.

 I remember people not wanting to leave their homes.

 In my case, I ended up having to get Satellite television because
I was feeling too disconnected, and then being shocked at the
claptrap that passes for news and intelligent discussion on television.

Which made me strive even harder to be more aware of what is going on.

 Pierce