Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Initial short-path support

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Initial short-path support
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:51:53 -0500

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:46:01 -0400, James Blackwell <address@hidden> wrote:

> re 4) It could, but it would be messy. Imagine building the new changeset
> in /tmp instead of in '.' That should free up enough room in the path to
> solve the problem. Of course, that begs the question "but how do you
> know that you're on a brain-damaged filesystem in the first place", to
> which I suppose I could reply "by having a flag in .arch-params"

Err, I was actually planning to add a configure check for
brain-damaged filesystems. Er, actually operating systems with
relatively small values of PATH_MAX. Otherwise, if you are somehow on
a brain-damaged filesystem and sensible OS, I am expecting a runtime
error.

I thought about #5 as well, given the work that appears to be in the
pipe, but I expect that to take awhile and I was hoping to have a
working solution sooner, rather than later.