Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Initial short-path support

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Initial short-path support
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 00:14:00 -0500

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:24:26 -0400, James Blackwell <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Ron Parker wrote:
> >
> > address@hidden
> >     http://www.inthefaith.net/rdp/{archives}/address@hidden
> >
> > The changes are in tla--short-path--1.3.
>
> Ok. I took a look at this, while you and I talked on irc. Though it's of
> course possible that Tom will ping you on something that I missed, it
> looks solid to me, other than the the couple minor things
> we discussed. (a comment for the regex, the if/else ordering in that one
> case, and where a couple of those functions belonged).

These changes are in patch-5. I still think the arch_short_path_tree
test fits better in project-tree.c, since it is tree specific rather
than archive specific, but had no other compelling reason for leaving
it where it was. So, it's been moved.

> With all that said, I think there should be a serious discussion about
> bumping the archive version #, pulling in your patch and other (good)
> patches that change the archive format.

I'm prepared to deal with either eventuality.

> In an archive version bump occurred, you could pull out the longer path
> conversion for changesets and just use shorter path as the default.

Much of the code I am writing would still apply because care would
have to be paid to interoperability between older archives and newer
tree-roots.