Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: Pierce T . Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:13:09 -0700

On Jul 22, 2004, at 3:09 AM, Frank T. Pohlmann wrote:

    Frank> My thoughts, exactly.

Why are you saying this to the guy that Tom has
dissed for caring too
much about media distortion?  Pierce already knows
that.  Why do I get
the feeling that you are paying no attention to
anything that you
couldn't have written yourselves?

:) Because the media distortion has become so bad that
I am afraid any attempt to present the situation in
nuanced terms is going to be drowned out. So I write
balance things out.

  Ah...the sweet feeling of vindication.

And what do you propose as a solution?  Censorship,
so that the media
only disseminates exactly what Bush wants them to?

The reality is that very, very few journalists and
fairly few bloggers attempt more balanced reporting. I
read French and German, so I try to get other views
and a more complete picture.

  The nice thing about blogging is that since they often
have little pretense of balance, I can factor that in.

 If a Bush supporter trashes Kerry over Berger putting
classified documents down his pants, I'll ignore it. If
a Kerry support wonders, that's more interesting.

 Though by far my favorite are foreign blogs.

 Here's an interesting Saudi Arabian one:

http://muttawa.blogspot.com/

C'mon, guys, be part of the solution, not part of
the problem.  We
know what you think is the problem, and it would be
really nice if you
took the recording off "infinite loop".  What do you
suggest we do
about it, besides becoming copies of you?

I noticed your sig and I understand your position. But
I am, or rather was, actually equipped to part of the
solution and back in the days when it would have been
relevant, I was told in no uncertain terms that having
expertise in the history of Islam is the most useless,
irrelevant expertise one could possibly hope for. That
was in 1991-1994.

 If you can digest that ivory tower link I sent you, it
would argue that it was the fault of "Studies" types. :-)

 They felt Islam wasn't "important".

So, I am probably a bit too angry at times to make as
much as sense as I should. Frankly, I have no idea to
this day how to have any kind of impact on a very
screwed-up situation. Even if I just tried to write on
Muslims in the UK (or India, which is my main interest
these days), or try to teach the history of Islam
somewhere, it is very unlikely that it would get
published or that I would get a job in it. People in
the UK are way too scared and in India, well....long
story.

 Start a weblog. I can give you an account on
opinionatedbastard.com if you like.

Cool.  The results are unquestionably nightmarish,
though it looks to
me that compared to the periods 1979-1990 and
1990-2002, it's mostly
that a different set of people are having
nightmares.[1]  Others are
having more pleasant dreams.

I am not so sure. Between 1990-2002, many got to
dream. I have met some Republicans since who have
nightmares, too.

 The problem with dreaming is that you're asleep.

Would you do me a favor and explain

1.  What is U.S. foreign policy?

2.  What do you propose as an alternative?

3.  What is the "foreign" policy of the EU?

Hold it. We were talking about Iraq, right? Is there a
point to this?

 Yes. Constructive criticism needs an alternative. It
wasn't the US alone that thought up the "let's play
Iran off against Iraq" strategy. You can try to put the
blame solely on us, but that dog won't hunt.

4.  What are the foreign policies of the three big
member states
    (France, Germany, Britain)?

5.  How would 3 & 4 have to change in response to 2?

6.  What are the benefits and costs you expect from
these changes?

This is just a test.  If this were a real
policy-planning session, you
would be required to be complete and if you missed
anything important
to any major interest group, you would be
disqualified from futher
participation.  ;-)

Yes, perhaps; frankly, I would love the exercise, and
if I ever get into this at my advanced age, I will
make sure to drop you a note, but let me just say
this:

It seems that one of the major thrusts of US foreign
policy to ensure that the US economy can function in
its present form unchanged and for as long as possible
by threatening and dominating any country with oil
supplies worth mentioning. I know that a number of
people on this list have argued that the US could have
gotten secure oil supplies in other ways, but frankly,
realities in the ME suggest that this is the US major
interest.

  The goal of any democratic nations foreign policy is to
ensure the safety, well-being, and wealth of the populace. (For
non-democratic nations, substitute "leader" for populace.)

  A major thrust of US foreign policy in the ME is to
ensure that the _world_ economy is stable and ok. Non
US citizens are going to be skeptical of this, so let
me explain the rational self interest at stake here:

 Time and time again it has been proven to us, that
despite our best wishes to leave the world alone and
go our own way, that all nations of the world are too
interconnected for that to work. If the EU economy
suffers, so does ours. When Japan's economy suffered,
so did ours. While some people rail against globalization,
I just see it as the incredible shrinking world. I just bought
a new silk uniform for my Qi Gong class from China via Ebay...

 It goes both ways. When OPEC cut oil production to raise oil
prices, they shot themselves in the foot. While they made more
per barrel, they sold less barrels because of the recession they
triggered, and that caused shifts in worldwide buying habits that
hurt them to this day.

 So its not quite as simple as saying that the US wants to
ensure access to ME oil. We get the majority of our oil from
the Western Hemisphere, and with some adjustment, we could switch
a large chunk of our energy dependence to coal. We're the Saudi
Arabia of coal. However, if say, Saudi Arabia got nuked by Iran,
the worldwide economy would enter a huge recession. We'd come out
ahead at the end most likely, but probably at 80% of our current GDP,
compared to 50% for the rest of the world.

 So if you can accept that all the nations of the world
are becoming more interlinked, perhaps US foreign policy
can make a little more sense. We believe (belief is different then
truth, so feel free to disagree):

  1. Countries with democratic governments are more prosperous.
  2. The more prosperous the world is, the more money we make.
  3. Democratic governments are less dangerous then non-democratic ones.
  4. Democracy is best developed gradually by the populace.
  5. #4 is the ideal, but not always possible, especially in
     states with the "resource curse".

  Since 9/11:

  6. We must lower our tolerance of "risk" when it comes to
     rogue states, and WMD.
  7. We can't guarantee the safety of our citizens until all
     countries are democratic & stable.

   My personal beliefs:

  7. If americans have to bleed, it damn well better be to promote
     democracy, not greed.
  8. The short-term thinking that leads to "but he's OUR
     evil dictator" has to stop.
  9. Democracy is a good thing for all peoples. Its not a
     perfect form of government, just better then all the others.

Footnotes:
[1]  Not to mention that there have been plenty of
nightmares that the
U.S. had nothing to do with, and Europe did nothing
about them, either.

Yes, indeed. But present US policy scares other
countries away from doing anything whatsoever. I dont
know about you, it is becoming ever more apparent to
me that the UK doesnt have a foreign policy and
medium-sized countries like Italy or Poland don't seem
to have a positive foreign policy in a many fields...

 I think that the UK foreign policy overlaps in many
key points with US foreign policy. However, I think
the medium-size countries are starting to think about
having an EU foreign policy instead of having their own.

 This would mean that Sweden, et. al. would have to give
up their neutrality, which would be interesting.

 Pierce