Re: [Gnu-arch-users] archzoom wishlist item

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] archzoom wishlist item
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 20:34:18 -0400

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 12:10:23AM +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> >    moin
> >          cvs            1.1     base-0 .. patch-47
> >          features       1.1     base-0
> >                         1.2     base-0 .. patch 5
> >          fixes          1.1     base-0 .. patch-15
>
> Well, this is just a matter of a template change. I copied default/ to
> test/ and changed abrowse.html a bit, here is the result:
>
>   http://archzoom.sourcecontrol.net/demo/address@hidden
>
> Personally I think this is less readable than without "?template=test".
> But if the majority likes such compact output I may make it the default.
> You should still press version "0" to get the revision list, as usual.

Yes I think that looks pretty good -- one small detail is that currently
there's a huge amount of whitespace on both sides of the version numbers,
which makes it harder to match-up branches and their version numbers &c.
Can this whitespace be reduced?

[Ideally it'd automatically adjust to fit the widest category-name/version,
but I don't know if that's easy using html or not; still the current amount
of whitespace is excessive even for very long category names, and even more
so for versions.]

BTW, since we're talking about arch-zoom, here are some miscellaneous gripes
I had when I first noticed that it was running on sourcecontrol:

  (1) There's no (obvious) way of finding out the archive location from the
      browser (e.g., when a user is browsing the above, it would be nice if
      there were some way for him to get the string
      "http://sourcecontrol.net/~miles/address@hidden";).

      This not really a bug, more of a missing feature -- it would be nice to
      be able to give a single location that users could both browse, and use
      to get the necessary archive registration info from.

      [I ran into this problem while looking for the location of James'
      archive -- from the sourecontrol home, it's easy to find your way to
      the browser for his archive, but it took a much longer time to actually
      find out where his archive was located!]

  (2) It would be nice to have a way of listing patches that change a given
      file, e.g., from the "Tree directory" view.  Often when using a
      browser, I'm interested more in the history of a given file or
      directory than the general history of the project.

Thanks,

-Miles
--
Next to fried food, the South has suffered most from oratory.
                        -- Walter Hines Page