Re: [Gnu-arch-users] "Newbie-ized help"

From: Esben Mose Hansen
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] "Newbie-ized help"
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 18:21:56 +0200

On Sunday 26 September, 2004 14:04, you wrote:
> > I would drop id, add-id, delete-id, move-id and move. These are seldom
> > needed or just plain confusing aliases.
>
> No.  It is the corresponding aliases: "delete", "move", and "add" that
> should be dropped, not "delete-id", "move-id", and "add-id", because the
> former have been shown to confuse people; the *-id forms are more explicit
> and thus easier to explain (normally people will probably use "mv" and "rm"
> anyway).

Fine. I just wanted to get rid of the aliases. So the list should be:

add-id
mv
rm

Makes sense.

> > Hmm. I would definitely drop archive-mirror. And I think that dropping
> > archieve-setup would be a good thing too, unless it is necessary in a
> > common use case (i.e. set up, get, updating, branching or merging).
>
> archive-mirror is one of the most often used and important tla commands.

Really? I never used it. Well, keep it then.

> > Multiple merge commands are not newbie stuff, I think. I'd keep tag,
> > update and missing --- and drop star-merge and replay.
>
> star-merge is one of the most often used and important tla commands.

Really? I have never used it, except to try it. Could you outline a simple
usecase where a newbie might have good use of star-merge?

Ah, this is looking good already. Wish I had that kind of help when I started
using tla :-D

--
regards, Esben