gnu-regexp-users

[Regexp] Copyright assignment, gnu.regexp future plans

From: Wes Biggs
Subject: [Regexp] Copyright assignment, gnu.regexp future plans
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 22:08:06 -0800

I don't know how many former contributors to gnu.regexp are lurking on this list these days, but anyway...

I'm trying to coordinate making gnu.regexp a part of the GNU Classpath project -- the idea is to use it to implement the JDK 1.4 java.util.regex APIs. I have bridge code that does that, more or less, though there's a lot of work to do to fully implement the 1.4 syntax.

However, to do so I need to assign copyright to the Free Software Foundation, and that means anyone else who has contributed and claims copyright must do so as well. There would also be a _slight_ license change, from LGPL to "GPL + Exception", which is what is used by Classpath (for the reasons why, see the site, http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/).

While a number of folks have contributed, the only names I find claiming a copyright are Lee Sau Dan and Ulf Dittmer. Can the two of you respond as to whether you are willing to assign copyright to the FSF? If so I will coordinate to get you the right paperwork to sign.

Also, the following folks are also listed in the credits file, even if they technically didn't put a copyright notice on their contributions, and I'd like to at least do them the courtesy of notifying them about the proposed change:
 Shashank Bapat
 Richard Bullington III
 David Crawford
 Paul Frantz
 Alan Moore

If you are one of the above and reading this list, could you please respond?

Thanks,

Wes