Re: GNU System Explanation

From: Barry deFreese
Subject: Re: GNU System Explanation
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:15:15 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alfred M. Szmidt" <address@hidden>
To: "Barry deFreese" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 5:22 AM

  I still don't see how this is possible with binary packages.  If
  there is an API/ABI change in libemacs (yes I am being facecious
  here) and both are "stowed" to /lib you can't execute both versions
  anyway.  Or am I still missing something?

/lib/libemacs.so.1.0
/lib/libemacs.so.1.1
/lib/libemacs.so.2.0

Libraries also have version numbers to which you link too.

Alfred,

Aye but this is one example. Not to mention that many "packages" symlink libemacs.so to the current version. Aside from that what about configuration files, say /etc/emacs.conf (again just an example). Are you going to make a version specific file for everything? Or is the assumption that these types of files don't change enough across versions?

Maybe this is all just too much for my tiny brain.. :-)

Thanks,

Barry deFreese (aka bddebian)