Re: GNU System Explanation

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: GNU System Explanation
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 13:10:01 +0100

   From: "Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden>
   Cc: address@hidden

       /packages is simply a container directory for packages, it could be
       anything.  /stow is where you either create a symbolic link or copy
       the package, to install it.

   In my design, /packages is where you create the symbolic link
   to install a package.

   I don't insist on that name.  However, I think the name "stow" is not
   meaningful and should be replaced with something meaningful.  If not
   "packages", then "installed" or "installation".

Yep, I think this is more meaningful to everybody. 'Installed' is my favourite
since it really means what is is: installed packages. To know what stow is,
you have to be familiar with stow binaries.

Xavier