Re: GNU System Explanation

From: Filip Brcic
Subject: Re: GNU System Explanation
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 12:22:51 +0100

Дана Sunday 12 February 2006 10:06, BVK Chaitanya је написао(ла):
> From: Filip Brcic
> On: 02/12/06 08:10
>
> > The goal is to make package installation and removal as easy as cp and
> > rm.
>
> Do you mean *copying* package.tar.gz into /packages should install the
> package? or you mean *extracting* the package.tar.gz into /packages?

Depends on how the system will be made at the end. I would make a virtual
filesystem in /packages/foo.pkg and then translate it to corresponding
directories. What I mean is that you see /packages/foo.pkg on one side
and /bin/foo on the other side. And foo.pkg is a file with a filesystem
(consider tar.gz a filesystem, too) that has /bin/foo inside. Then you can
just copy the foo.pkg into /packages and that's all you have to do. Except
you'd have to consider installing run-time dependencies somehow (don't know
how yet).

The other way is to extract foo.tgz into /packages or just copy /somewhere/foo
into /packages/foo. If you translate /somewhere to your prefered ftp package
mirror, or you your CD, that is how "installation" from remote (or local)
repository could be done. Another way is to get the foo.tgz, translate it to
somewhere and copy it's contents to /packages. Or just do a tar xzpvf
to /packages.

--
Filip Brcic <address@hidden>
WWWeb: http://purl.org/NET/brcha/home/