Re: systemd replacement or standardization

From: marinus.savoritias
Subject: Re: systemd replacement or standardization
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 19:07:04 +0200 (CEST)

So since we have GNU Shepherd and it will keep being developed why don't we ask GNOME on their stance?

By that I mean, GNOME has moved away from GNU build tools and requires Systemd (I aknowldge you can replace it with forks but still). I remember reading about a discussion to remove the acronym too.

So in my opinion, we should reevaluate whether GNOME is a part of GNU and how open are they to reintegrate to GNU if the right tools are developed. If not, there are plenty of environments which are open and were open in the past to not be tied to one technology. XFCE,KDE etc.

The GNU desktop environment should be integrated with GNU in my opinion.

Fannys

Oct 15, 2019, 11:56 by address@hidden:

address@hidden writes:
So do we endorse systemd and stop developing GNU Shepherd, or
reevaluate if GNOME fits with the rest of the GNU system?

At least from a Guix point of view we will not stop developing GNU
Shepherd because it allows us to easily use features from Guix
(e.g. containerized daemons) via Guile.

Past Google Summer of Code and Outreachy project proposals included the
implementation of socket activation (a feature that systemd provides),
cgroups support when Linux is used, and a superficial language to allow
reuse of declarative systemd service unit files for direct use with the
Shepherd.

--
Ricardo