Re: Joint statement on the GNU Project

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Joint statement on the GNU Project
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 22:52:59 +0530

* Ruben Safir <address@hidden> [2019-10-15 22:31]:
> On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 09:24:14AM +0100, Brandon Invergo wrote:
> >
> > Ruben Safir writes:
> >
> > > Bullshit
> > >
> > > You should leave and Richard should stop beiong harrassed by bigots like
> > > you
> > >
> > > The truth is, you don't get a say in this.  GNU is not a democracy,
> >
> > Ruben (and everyone else), can you please take a kinder tone when
> > discussing on GNU lists, even if you disagree with the person?
> >
> > https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/kind-communication.html
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> No, an atrocity has happened here and I will not be calmed and I will
> not comply with niceties.  And this goes beyond GNU.  My friend and
> family was assaulted, attacked, and made homeless, and as he is entering
> an age where most people thinking of retiring in Florida, his lifetime
> of accomplishment has been attacked by a small minded group of fanatics.
> It is a huge injustice and I will not be kinder to these pricks.

Well said, thank you.

That is reality.

I understand that expressing it in language is not as kind, yet I find
it proper, well expressed, straight to the point.

I would suggest to be kinder as calling people pricks, while it can
give you temporary relief from stress is not kind and remains in
mailing lists for history.

I am also sorry to have expressed myself to Guix leaders like Ludovic
Courtès in any bad manner, I was outraged by the involvement of other
politics into the GNU as free operating system that shall be free of
any other politics.

When group of people have rules to be kind or let us say apolitical,
and then some of them break the rules, and if there is nobody to
enforce the rules, people are protesting and one can hardly expect
protests to be as nice. It would be better having somebody to moderate
GNU pages and what is published on GNU projects.

Even the nicest person in the world is to break the rules and conduct
of being nice when somebody becomes way too hostile towards that
person. That is expected human reaction.

> While you go to sleep tonight on your pillow, Richard is scrambling about
> to find a place to live and a table to enjoy a warm meal, because these
> pricks used him as a political tool.

After reading the articles of incorporation of the FSF, they could
make Richard Stallman a friend of corporation or simply give him other
position but President, and even without any position they should and
can pay him funds from the corporation. Maybe Richard does not want to
receive anything, however, FSF management still have the powers to pay
him any funds.

Same is valid for other friendly organizations such as FSFE, and also
individuals.

He is finally the major funds raiser, people donate because of his
free software philosophy. And he does work! Look at the speech in
Russia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCh8EcBrptA or look at his
latest visit to Microsoft Research:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/free-software-advocate-richard-stallman-spoke-at-microsoft-research-this-week/

He is making allies, teaching people about free software, and
promoting free software philosophy.

There is nothing wrong for the FSF to provide any means for RMS.

It is sad to see how he had to search for home, that could have been
handled by the FSF itself, on an urgent basis. Surely I do not have
enough data about their transactions and relation, and I can easily
make wrong judgment. Yet that is the impression I have got according
to what I could read.

> I will not be quiet nor will I use inappropriate language.  This is an
> outrage and I will use outrage appropriate language to address it.

Well said, thank you.

> These same bastards that signed this petition, after 9-11, when I got to
> Bordeaux, not even a few weeks after the attacks while the smell of the
> dead was still in the air all out NYC, asked me why do we lockup all our
> Muslims in NYC, and then made snide anti-semitic  remarks at lunch.  I
> know many of them.  They are undeserving of a generous person like
> Richard to champion there projects and ideals.  And their rat like
> behavior is not a one off event.  It is a pattern of abuse.

I suggest refraining from making accusations without facts, and I
don't think that those are really same people, though I do not
know. Please be specific in your remarks, and if there is any politics
or mentioning of religion or any other type of politics beyond free
software, I would say leave out out from GNU and FSF activities, as
those are both activities that are welcoming to everybody regardless
of their personal and private thinking or political viewpoints.

Jean Louis

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/kind-communication.html

Quote by RMS: "People are sometimes discouraged from participating in
GNU development because of certain patterns of communication that
strike them as unfriendly, unwelcoming, rejecting, or harsh. This
discouragement particularly affects members of disprivileged
demographics, but it is not limited to them. Therefore, we ask all
contributors to make a conscious effort, in GNU Project discussions,
to communicate in ways that avoid that outcome—to avoid practices that
will predictably and unnecessarily risk putting some contributors
off."