Re: [open-cobol-list] What do you think of JCL ?

From: Vincent Coen
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] What do you think of JCL ?
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 13:17:17 +0100

On Wednesday 18 Sep 2013 22:03:06 Patrick wrote:

> After reading one today, it sounds like people invented the scripting

> language I was considering long ago, job control language.

> This sounds like it should be the easiest language to implement, is it

> really inconsistent and weird? How could something so simple have gone

> wrong.

> Would JCL or something like it be good for open Cobol ?

JCL is exactly that a Job control system for executing/starting jobs on a m/f (mainframe) it links any resources needed by a specific program or group of programs, e.g., files and their access type, printers etc.

Yes, some of the commands in it are inconsistent but that is more the fact that various programmers have coded the new stuff without sticking to some standards in format etc.

Under Linux such a process is NOT required as it is all dealt with inside the existing tools of Linux.

There is no need for it and more importantly the old saying

"If it is not broken don't fix it"

comes seriously to mind.

It is a wasted exercise.

Vince