gpsd-users

Re: Illegal instruction....

From: David J Taylor
Subject: Re: Illegal instruction....
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 16:07:16 +0100

-----Original Message----- From: Charles Curley
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 10:12 PM
To: gpsd-users@nongnu.org

On Wed, 27 May 2020 19:51:05 +0100
"David J Taylor" <gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

I appreciate that there's no single standard place for the .so
library, but I found that the scons install did not appear to copy
the .so file anywhere. I also noted that the supplied clients ubxtool
and cgps were compiled and linked without any reference to libgps.so
(according to ldd).  I found that the apt remove/purge didn't delete
at least some of the *gps* files already on the system.

Those might be bugs. libgps has several symlinks to it, which should
also be properly set up in the same directory. Not having any Raspberry
Pi hardware, I can't volunteer to do check it out.

As for the lack of linking to libgps, I can confirm that for cgps as of
mid November 2019 (commit b82f38b5785f551131e6d671cca94fe0cdc13365) and
for the debian version on Buster, 3.17-7.

Sorry about the e-mail.  I bottom post, but the software does not
have the ability to insert chevrons, and I have been unable to find
an add-on to do this.  You'll find my answers at the bottom, and not
interspersed.  I hope you can live with that.

I appreciate the bottom posting, which is a major improvement on
Windows email client defaults. Short of you getting a better email
client, I guess I will have to live with that.

Charles,

3.17 is where this all started, and the need for 3.20 for configuring with the ubxtool (as opposed to hex strings) and the improved cgps showing the constellations active. Could be bugs, but it means that a more careful check may be needed after an apt remove & purge.

I have Thunderbird for newsgroups, so one day I will need to try an import, but with about 2 GB of e-mail I wonder both how long it might take, and how successful it might be. The standard Windows-10 mail client apparently has no import facility!

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk