gpsd-users

Re: Installing 3.20 gpsd from source on Raspberry Pi cards old and new.

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Installing 3.20 gpsd from source on Raspberry Pi cards old and new.
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2020 11:46:38 -0700

Yo David!

> It would have been nice to have the scons install libgps and the
> gpsd.service etc. files.  It fails to do this, as I mentioned earlier.

The libgps thing was a short term bug, fixed.  As for systemd(ribble):
every distro says gpsd does it wrong, but none agree on what is right.

You get them to agree, and gpsd will install what they agree on.

> NTP works very well with systemd, no need to change that and
> potentially complicate or break other things.

Got that backwards, the current method is the over complicated one.
Dozens of lines to do a one line job.

> ps -e | grep gps  shows a program running before I run any gpsd
> clients.

Insufficient.  Is it sending tim to SHM's?

> NTP just uses the kernel pps and other local/Internet
> servers for the coarse time.  It's independent of gpsd.

The way you set it up, not the recommended way.  Not recmmended by
gpsd or NTPsec.

> The OS is Buster.

Uh, no.  Kinda sota derived from Bust, not Buster.  This repeated
confusion is why people keep running the wrong binaries and wondering
why they fail.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588