gpsd-users

Re: Installing 3.20 gpsd from source on Raspberry Pi cards old and new.

From: David J Taylor
Subject: Re: Installing 3.20 gpsd from source on Raspberry Pi cards old and new.
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 15:27:48 +0100

-----Original Message----- From: Gary E. Miller

Yo David!

ps -e | grep gps  shows a program running before I run any gpsd
clients.

Insufficient.  Is it sending tim to SHM's?

NTP just uses the kernel pps and other local/Internet
servers for the coarse time.  It's independent of gpsd.

The way you set it up, not the recommended way.  Not recmmended by
gpsd or NTPsec.

The OS is Buster.

Uh, no.  Kinda sota derived from Bust, not Buster.  This repeated
confusion is why people keep running the wrong binaries and wondering
why they fail.

RGDS
GARY

Gary,

You asked whether gpsd was running.  It is running.

I have systems where the serial port isn't available, so gpsd isn't installed on those systems. Using a PPS feed with NTP is fine, and results in a substantial improvement.

 https://twitter.com/gm8arv/status/1270661812472725506

NTPsec isn't in use here.

The current generation of the Raspberry Pi OS is derived from the Linux OS commonly known as Buster - a little more memorable and easier to remember than:

  4.19.97+ #1294 Thu Jan 30 13:10:54 GMT 2020 armv6l GNU/Linux

David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv