Arch archive setup

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Arch archive setup
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 13:34:51 +0100

Hi!

I will play around a bit with tla build-config & friends to see how a
more modularized setup may look like and how it will work. I'll try to
reach these goals:

* Fine-grained modularization at the arch level: Each module will live
  in it's own category. I've someting like this in mind:

   - guile-gnome-common: Common build infrastructure (yet to be determined)
   - guile-gnome-core: The GLib/GObject bindings (perhaps this should be named
        -glib to follow upstream)
   - guile-gnome-gtk:  GTK+2, Pango, Gdk, Glade
   - guile-gnome-vte:  VTE
   - guile-gnome-source-view: GtkSourceView
   - guile-gnome-[dunno]: I'd like to have one archive where we'd place the
        modules that are part of the GNOME developer platform (see [0]), but
        don't really warrant an archive of their own. These might be
        just libgnome and libgnomeui.
   - guile-gnome-gstreamer: GStreamer

   Maybe it also makes sense to place bindings for each 'upstream
   package' in a separate category for maximum flexibility. This would
   break glade and Pango out of guile-gnome-gtk. I think this has the
   benefit that there would be a clear policy for category boundaries
   and naming (follow upstream).

   I very much welcome suggestions here.

* CVS syncing between the current CVS repositories
  (address@hidden/guile-gobject, gstreamer.net/gst-guile) and the
  Arch repository. This should work really well in the Arch->CVS
  direction and should be possible from CVS->Arch.

* It should be easy to create various mapping of the modules listed
  above to 'hacker projects' (e.g. all of guile-gnome-* in one tree)
  and 'release projects' (we might want to group several modules into
  one release project, wich then get released together (as one
  tarball)).

* I plan to set this up for use with tla-pqm, so once the thing is in
  shape, we can move it to some central location and use it as master
  repository.

Cheers, Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden      | address@hidden | address@hidden

Python is executable pseudocode, Perl is executable line-noise.